Yes, I know you may have never thought of making homemade meatballs while at camp but………they are easier to make than you think. The opened end meat choice leaves a lot of room for you to create your own special meatball recipe while the cola creates a wonderful sauce that should not be wasted. To soak up every little bit of sauce, consider spooning it over noodles or mashed potatoes.
To change up the recipe beyond the ground meat, consider using other “pop” flavors, such as cherry or even vanilla.
Campfire Recipe: Cola Meatballs
Liquid or spray oil
1 pound of ground meat
½ cup of seasoned bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon of water
1 small onion
1 clove of garlic
1 cup of Ketchup
1 cup of cola
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 medium sized green pepper
- Build a fire to prepare the coals.
- In a large bowl, add the ground meat, bread crumbs, egg, and water.
- Finely chop small onion and divide in half. Add half to the bowl.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of each salt and pepper to the meat mixture.
- Lightly grease a 12 inch Dutch oven with liquid or spray oil.
- Mix the meat ingredients and form into meatballs. Place prepared meatballs in greased 12 inch Dutch oven.
- In a medium bowl, combine ¼ teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Mince the garlic clove and add to medium bowl.
- Add the Ketchup, cola, and Worcestershire sauce to medium bowl.
- Cut the green pepper in half. Finely chop one half and add to the medium bowl. Save the other half for another recipe.
- Stir the contents of the medium bowl and pour over the prepared meatballs.
- Put the lid on the 12 inch Dutch oven and move to a heat resistant surface.
- Arrange 12 prepared coals on the heat resistant surface. Put the Dutch oven on top of these coals.
- Add 22 prepared coals to the lid.
- Cook for 40 minutes.
After that time period has passed, gently remove the lid and check the doneness of the meatballs by cutting one open. If done, knock off the coals from the lid. Remove the Dutch oven from the coals. Serve. If the meatballs are not done, put the lid back on and cook for another 10 minutes.