What do you do when one of your campers has a sweet tooth and is looking for something sweet to eat? Well, you can supply them with a quick fix from a candy bar or a bag of chocolate treats. But, if you really want to make an impression, why not plan for this event with a special dessert that looks difficult but you know otherwise.
Ok, yes a box mix would be quicker but………I promise you it is not as good and if you are going to light the fire you might as well make it worth it.
Campfire Recipe: DIY Chocolate Pudding Cake
Liquid or spray oil
1 cup of all purpose flour
2 ¼ cup of granulated sugar
½ cup of unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons of baking powder
¼ teaspoon of salt
¾ cup of 2 percent milk
¼ cup of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 ½ cups of water
- Create a fire to prepare the coals.
- In a large bowl, shift together the flour, ¾ cup of granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Place a grilling rack above the fire.
- Put a small, fire-proof saucepan on rack. Add 3 tablespoons to this saucepan and heat until the butter has melted.
- Add melted butter, milk, and vanilla extract to the flour mixture. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated. Set bowl aside.
- In a small Dutch oven, add 1 ½ cup of granulated sugar and water. Place on grilling rack, stir often, and cook until boiling. Once it boils, remove from the heat.
- Take a 10 inch Dutch oven and lightly grease.
- Move prepared Dutch oven to a heat resistant surface. Using 10 prepared coals create a circle and put the grease Dutch oven on top. Cover with lid. Add 16 to 18 prepared coals to the lid.
- Preheat Dutch oven for 5 minutes. Once this time has passed, remove the lid and put 1 tablespoon of butter inside and swirl around.
- Pour batter into the 10 inch Dutch oven. Slowly add the water mixture to the batter, which will splatter a bit. Do not stir the batter.
- Place the lid back on and cook for 15 minutes. After this time has passed, turn the lid 180 degrees and cook for another 10 minutes.
Once that time period has passed, knock off the coals from the lid and move the 10 inch Dutch oven from the circle of coals. All the Dutch oven to sit for 15 minutes before serving the cake.