Ok, I have to admit I am not the one who buys the chips but……….I do help eat them if they are there. One really bad habit I have is to simply finish a bag because I do not want to waste them and I want them out of the camp kitchen. Now that the truth is out, I really wanted to come up with a recipe that would get those empty calories out of the camp kitchen and onto a plate that had some nutrition. Well, this is it. Yes, I know the chips are still involved and the sauce along with the cheese adds fat but at least there is protein that is lean. While I have calculated the nutritional value of this dish, I am camping and it does get rid of those chips that I do not buy.
If you are looking for a healthier version, consider using baked tortilla chips. Also, think about using “cheese” flavored tortilla chips instead of plain and skip the cheese all together.
Camp Fire Recipe: Crispy Mexican Chicken Thighs
Liquid or spray oil
6 large skinless and boneless chicken thighs
1 cup of prepared ranch salad dressing
1 teaspoon hot sauce
½ large bag of tortilla chip or 3 cups crushed
1 teaspoon chili powder, hotness your choice
1 cup of grated cheddar or Mexican-flavored cheese
- Build a fire to prepare the coals for cooking.
- Using a 12 inch Dutch oven, lightly grease it with liquid or spray oil.
- If the tortilla chips are not crushed, prepare them and place them in a plastic bag or shallow bowl.
- Combine the ranch salad dressing and hot sauce in a small bowl that is large enough for the chicken thighs to fit in.
- Dip the chicken thighs in the ranch salad dressing mixture and then in the crushed tortilla chips. Place in prepared 12 inch Dutch oven.
- Sprinkle with chili powder and put lid on.
- Move the filled Dutch oven to a heat resistant surface.
- Arrange 12 prepared coals in a circle and place the Dutch oven on top.
- Put 26 coals on the lid.
- Cook for 45 minutes.
- Once this time has passed, gently remove the lid and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Place the lid back on and heat for an additional 5 minutes.
- After the time period has passed, knock off the coals from the lid and remove the Dutch oven from the circle of coals.