One of my daughter’s favorite dishes is the Jiffy Corn Pudding. My mother taught her how to make this and from that point on it was her favorite. But having said that she also loves and mean loves bacon. What a wonderful combination for my daughter-corn pudding and bacon. So in honor of my daughter and her love for corn pudding, I have created a recipe that mixes both.
Plus, if you happen to have bacon leftover from breakfast this is a wonderful dish by which to finish up that little bit but……..I never have bacon leftover so I always have to cook fresh and keep my daughter out of it somehow.
Campfire Recipe: Bacon Cheddar Corn Pudding
Spray or liquid oil
15 ounce can of cream style corn
11 ounce can of whole-kernel corn with red and green peppers
8.5 ounce package of corn muffin mix
½ cup of ranch salad dressing
8 ounce block of sharp cheddar cheese
4 green onions
4 slices of cooked bacon
- Build fire to prepare coals.
- Grease a 10-inch Dutch oven with spray oil or rub the inside of the Dutch oven with a paper towel covered in cooking oil.
- Crack eggs in a bowl and beat.
- Add cream style corn to the eggs.
- Drain whole-kernel corn/peppers and add to egg mixture.
- Empty corn muffin mix into egg mixture along with ranch salad dressing.
- Grate the 8 ounce block of cheese.
- Add ½ cup of shredded cheese to egg mixture and stir.
- Once all the ingredients with the eggs are mixed, pour into greased 10-inch Dutch oven.
- Put lid on the Dutch oven and move to a heat resistant surface.
- Arrange 10 coals in a circle on the heat resistant surface. Place the prepared Dutch oven on this circle.
- Place 14 prepared coals around the edge of the lid and 6 in the center.
- Cook for 35 minutes.
- After this time has passed, gently remove the lid and check the doneness of the corn pudding by poking it with a knife in the center. If it comes out clean, move on to the next step. If not, place the lid back on carefully and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Once the corn pudding is firm, sprinkle the surface with the remaining shredded cheese. Crumble the bacon and add to shredded cheese. Chop the green onions and sprinkle on top of the bacon.
- Gently place the lid back on and cook for another 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.