While some of you may feel that this recipe has a Halloween theme to it, it does not. The black magic comes from the cocoa and coffee that are used in this recipe. Yes, I know you are thinking that simply opening a box, mixing up a few required ingredients and pouring it in a Dutch oven would suffice and it would but making a cake from scratch is an experience worth having. So roll up your sleeves, prepare the fire and get ready to make a cake the old fashioned way, not from a box but from scratch.
Campfire Recipe: Black Magic Cake
Liquid or spray oil
1 ¾ cup of all purpose flour
¾ cup of cocoa
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of buttermilk or sour milk
1 cup of strong coffee or 1 cup of hot water with 2 teaspoons of instant coffee added
½ cup of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- To prepare the coals, build a fire.
- Spray a 12 inch Dutch oven with oil or wipe the inside down with liquid oil.
- Pull off a piece of parchment paper that is large enough to cover the inside of the 12 inch Dutch oven.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, coffee, vegetable oil and vanilla extract to the bowl with the dry ingredients. If you do not have buttermilk, make sour milk by taking one cup of milk and adding 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to the milk. Stir. This mixture will replace the buttermilk in the recipe.
- Beat all the ingredients together for 2 minutes.
- Once mixed, pour into the prepared 12 inch Dutch oven.
- Place lid on Dutch oven and move to a heat resistant surface.
- Arrange 12 prepared coals in a circle on the heat resistant surface. Place the Dutch oven on these coals. Cover the lid wit 20 to 22 coals.
- Cook for 15 minutes. After that time has passed, rotate the lid 180 degrees and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Once that time has passed, carefully remove the lid and test the doneness of the cake with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean then it is ready. On the other hand, if it comes out gooey, continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- After the cake is done, knock off the coals from the lid and remove the Dutch oven from its circle of prepared coals.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before removing from the Dutch oven.
Serve plain, with icing and/or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.