Today on the show we’re exploring the idea of a true backcountry whitetail hunt in the Boundary Waters of Northern Minnesota. And we’re joined by several members of Sportsmen for the Boundary Waters to discuss this vast wilderness, how to pull off a hunt here, and why this area is currently at risk.
TAKE ACTION: Please sign the petitions to protect the Boundary Waters put together by Sportsmen for the Boundary Waters and by Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. The deadline to provide comment on this issue is Wednesday, February 28th 2018.
To listen to the podcast, click the Play button in the orange bar above or click the links below to subscribe to the podcast through iTunes or Stitcher radio. Finally, if you’re enjoying the podcast – please leave us a review on iTunes. It would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!
What You’ll Learn In This Episode:
– Why I decided to plan a backcountry whitetail hunt in the Boundary Waters of Minnesota
– What the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness is and why it’s so special
– What you can expect from the terrain, flora and fauna in the BWCA
– What deer hunting in the BWCA is like and why some folks enjoy it so much
– How to find deer in a big woods environment
– What the deer density and age/quality is like in the BWCA
– Using a canoe while seeking out deer
– “Sneak hunting” in big woods for bucks
– What to pack when embarking on a backcountry canoe-in whitetail hunt
– Handling the logistics of an expedition deer hunt
– The importance of monitoring the weather on a trip like this
– How to get a deer out and how to handle the portages between lakes
– What the fishing and upland hunting is like here
– The current dangers facing the Boundary Waters region
– What we can do to help
-And much, much more!
Show notes, resources, links:
– To learn more about Sitka Gear, visit their website here.
– To learn more about Whitetail Properties, click this link
– If you haven’t yet, head to our podcast page to listen to our other episodes
– And be sure to enter your email in the gray box below to sign up for our newsletter and to get our “Whitetail Addict’s Monthly To-Do Checklist” for FREE!